Wood floors are a popular feature in many homes. As you begin shopping around, you will notice that there are many types of wood flooring from which to choose. Of which, two of the most popular options are hardwood and laminate flooring. These are two very different products and, before you make your choice, it’s good to make sure that you are properly informed about the differences between the two. In this article, we’ll break down the key differences between the two so that you are prepared to make an educated choice when shopping for new floors.
Hardwood vs Laminate Flooring
Hardwood floors are made from 100% wood. Laminate, on the other hand, is made from fibreboard with a printed wood pattern. The different layers are fused together with a clear protective layer on top. This helps protect against wear, damage and moisture. This is why laminate flooring is sometimes confused with engineered hardwood.
Benefits of laminate flooring
If you are considering installing laminate flooring in your home, you will be pleased to know that there are a number of benefits. These include:
- The beauty of hardwood at a much more affordable price. These floors are budget-friendly and one of the best ways of adding luxury without breaking the bank.
- Easy to install yourself. This is another way that these floors help you save money. Even if you are not experienced in wood floor installations, laminate flooring is easy to install without having to hire a contractor.
- Thanks to the protective layer on top, these floors are not particularly prone to scratching.
- You can install them over concrete as well as most other surfaces.
- Keep allergens to a minimum. Unlike carpets, you can vacuum up all the dust on your floor and not have to worry about dust and dust mites.
Benefits of hardwood flooring
Hardwood flooring is another very popular option. There is no denying the luxury that these floors bring to any home. If you are planning on installing hardwood flooring, you will enjoy these benefits:
- Authentic luxurious appearance. The pure beauty of wood is unlike any other. This type of flooring has a wonderful way of warming the room and making it that much more inviting.
- You will find a lovely variety from which to choose. This includes a selection of grains, patterns, stains and even exotic woods.
- Hardwood adds real value to your home. This means that you can enjoy it today, and it will increase the resale value of your property should you choose to sell in the future.
- If you choose engineered hardwood, you can install this flooring directly onto a concrete surface.
- There are a number of types of wood to choose from. If you want the most durable and scratch/dent resistant, it’s best to opt for maple, oak or hickory. These floors will not let you down and they will look superb for years to come.
So, if the main factor behind your decision is cost, then laminate flooring is the clear winner of this debate. If, however, you want flooring that will add significant value to your home, then hardwood is the way to go. Both types of flooring are fairly durable, but that being said, it is always important to take proper care of your wood floors if you want to protect them from damage and scratches. At Best-Flooring.ca, we are proud to offer a wide selection of hardwood and laminate flooring. Visit the website today to find a hardwood or laminate flooring option that will improve your home.